PorotoNovo, also called “Parangipettai” (பரங்கிப்பேட்டை),
Historically called Porto Novo is a panchayat town in Cuddalore district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.PortoNovo is situated on the north bank of the mouth of Vellar at a distance of 32km from Cuddalore and 15Km from Chidambaram. Porto Novo was an important trade centre during the colonial era. Portuguese were the first European settlers of this place from whom it passed into the possession of the Dutch and finally handed it over to the English in 1824. This town has a large Muslim population engaged mostly in sea-trade. Today, Parangipettai is mainly a fishing village. Parangipettai has a Marine Biology Station affiliated with the Annamalai University.
[fusion_convert_plus convert_plus_module=”slide_in” modal_id=”0″ slide_in_id=”cp_id_a2335″ info_bar_id=”0″ display=”trigger” /]